Posts Tagged ‘City Hall’

What steps do I need to take before having a silent auction?

November 16th, 2012 1 comment

I want to have a silent auction for a fundraiser that I am holding. I think I might have to go to city hall and get some papers saying I can ask businesses for donations. If I do need to I don’t know if I should go to city hall or just write city hall a letter. I’m not sure about what kind of tax reports I’m going to have to make either? PLZ help!!!!

To solicit donation of goods or money from businesses you need to a registered non profit org.  When you register the IRS gives you a tax exempt number. Businesses will request this number before giving you any donations.  What organization if the fundraiser for.  They may already have the necessary paperwork.  Do you intend to hold the silent auction on city property? If yes then you need a permit.  Town officials will also need the paperwork especially if you want the permit fee waived.

When is the next auction of Foreclosed realestate in Oahu? How did you get in?

July 7th, 2012 1 comment

I heard about a good auction at 777 Punchbowl. Do you know a useful website for current information about that? How did you get in?

For Sheriff’s Sales, foreclosures, tax sales and judicial sales as well as any other sales a county or state may have, you’re going to discover every county in every state/province/territory operates and does things a little differently than the one next to it – even when its in the same state or province.

It requires LOTS of time and diligence.

This is what I learned:

The best suggestions I can offer:

For the work which NEEDS to be done BEFORE the sale, there really isn’t any website.

1] Go to your county court house to the Sheriff’s Office. You might even be able to get the info you need on-line BUT there may be a charge for the on-line access.

2A] It doesn’t make any difference whether you live in a large city or a village/borough, make the investment of time to go to the County Court House or City Hall. Visit the Recorder of Deeds Office/County Clerk’s Office or whatever the office is referred. The names are different, but the Office’s function is the same: to record ALL REAL property documents.

The ladies and gentlemen in the City Hall or Court House are there to help the folks who come there to do business and take care of various matters about that city or county.

3A] Ask for the rules for Sheriff’s sales and foreclosures. AND ask for the information you need to participate and bid on property. Ask for a list or if they are hanging on the wall, grab one or two.

3B] JUST for practice you’ll need a specific, actual address – even if its your own, a friend or relative living in that same county or city. The property owner’s name would be very helpful. Ask an employee in that office how to research a property. Write down and/or remember each of the steps you are shown.

3C] After being shown what to do and how to do it, research the one or two properties you have at the Recorder of Deeds Office/County Clerk’s Office.

If you get stuck, ask for help.

4] If you are able to do the research, attend AT LEAST 3 of those Sheriff’s Sales. You aren’t going to bid on any property. You aren’t going to buy any property. You are there STRICTLY as an observer. You want to see how the process works.

5] At the sheriff’s sales and foreclosures, you’ll probably see the same faces at sale after sale.

Offer to take one of those folks to lunch or dinner and discuss your intentions.

Thanks for asking your Q! I enjoyed answering it!

Ron Berue
Yes, that is my real last name!